Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but I'll only have been banded for about 2 months when we have our get together in Chicago. What if I'm the biggest person there? Will you all throw rocks and kick me to the curb - laughing that a fatty like me could even think I could hang with all you skinny bandsters? Okay! Okay! I know I'm being ridiculous. I know from your blogs how great you all are and all sizes, colors, races, political parties, drinkers, thinkers, dancers, so on and so forth will be welcome. Anyway, I'm really excited now that I've decide to put my scaredy pants away and wear my big-girl pants.
I also have to give a shout out to my wonderful husband. It's not that we don't do our own trips once in a while, but I already have 2 girls' weekends planned this summer, so I thought a third might send him over the edge. However, he knows how much you all are helping me get through all this preliminary BS that I need to do for the insurance comany before I get banded so he is completely supportive. Plus, I know he's appreciative because the more I blog to you all, the less I have to complain to him about.
I'm not going to lie. Going on this trip will be a bit out of my comfort zone, but I think it's going to be well worth the nervousness. Can't wait to meet you all!
Bullshit and Some Truth
7 years ago



Bonnie, I'm totally with you on the slight nervousness about this trip. We all get along so well in blogland, but who knows how it'll go in person? But you know, I think it'll be great. At the two-month point after surgery I was feeling a little down, so the timing might actually be perfect for you, get you energized and over the bandster hell hump. Yay to your husband for jumping in to encourage you to go!
ReplyDeleteeh... nervous... furhgehaboutit!! You will be welcomed with open arms, and don't worry about anything.. Let me tell you the hardest lesson I have learned in life is that I have lived my life thinking about what other people think (how funny for me to think that other people obsess about me).. they don't and won't and won't judge you but be there to CHEER US ALL ON!!! so get your calendar out and start counting the days!!!
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to be able to give a real hug rather than a virtual one to all of you who have/our helping me with this journey! Can't wait to see ya!
ReplyDeleteTwo months out will be a great time for you to be there, because like Kristen said, you maybe goign through bandster hell, so we can support and encourage you in person!! Please put all those nerves aside. This will be a judgement free zone!! We've all been through these experiences and feelings at one point or another and it is just time for us to have fun, get to know one another in person and relax! :) Can't wait to meet you!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kristin. It makes me feel even better about the trip knowing that timing could be perfect. Barbara - I am really tired living my life worrying about what others will think. Hopefully this will be the first step in living my life the way I want to live it. Weighing less and feeling braver. Jacquie - I can't wait to give those real hugs too.
ReplyDeleteListen. I am TOTALLY going to throw rocks at you.
ReplyDeleteSHUSH UP! Dont even worry about what size you will be! Hell, maybe you will still be able to eat something other than soup and that will make Drazil happy!
lol...
we will all be beautiful and fabulous!
I literally just said to Tiffany 2 seconds before I began reading this post: "What if I'm not skinny enough for Chicago? Everyone else will be skinny. I wanna be skinny."
ReplyDeleteShe talked me down and now I will join the others in doing the same for you...
This is going to be good motivation to be able to shop or be more active than pre-band, etc...
And I am highly doubtful that former fatties would belittle another fatty. That would break my damn heart.
Can't wait to see you in the Windy City!
lol at the throwing rocks thing :-)
ReplyDeletei agree that it will be a great time for you to go, i am almost 2 months out now and i need my BOOBS now!! :-) (literally and figuratively! i've lost over 4 inches from my bust already! grrr)
This trip is so far out of my comfort zone its not even funny. But I want to go so bad that I'm almost forcing myself to do it. I totally know how you feel.
ReplyDeleteMy comfort zone went out the window as soon as I read the posting about the trip. As I mentioned to a couple people I literaly wanted to run in my room and hide under the covers. For me it isn't the weight (although that has been a good excuse for me), but more my intraversion. I have never been one to take risks and doing things for the first time is extremely hard. And with a large group of people it just makes it harder. BUT, my journey right now isn't supposed to be just about my weight. I wanted it to be more about changing those things I don't like about myself - including my weight.
ReplyDeleteOk.. long comment I know. But the short of it is I think a lot of us are nervous - for many different reasons. Some of us have allowed our weight to define us in one way or another and I think this trip will be a great way to say "no more"!!
I must admit, I love a party, so I am not feeling nervous at all....Plus this is the perfect group to "let it all hang out" with...I can't imagine anyone judging AT ALL! No way!
ReplyDeleteIt is going to be a fab time, I am so sure of it. Can't wait to see you there!
So if that is how you think we will think, I guess I will have to obsess over being the real old broad coming to party with all the youngun's. At 56, I could the mother of most of those going. Please let me be your sister. I agree, there is going to be some awkwardness for about 5 seconds as we figure out who everyone is by comparing them to the little photo in the profile. And Draz-she better be a real lizard. Can't wait to meet you.
ReplyDeleteOh come on, Sandy...Age doesn't matter unless you're a wine or a cheese! I get along with women of all different ages, so don't let that bother you. As for everyone else, introvert or extrovert, we're going to have a good time. I know I won't be judging a single one of you, as I know I am going to be heavier that some of the other girls and I would hope they would never judge me (and I know they wont!). Just be yourself and take this as a time to step out of that comfort zone if you wish. Even if you don't I KNOW that there will be plenty of women who will come join YOU in your comfort zone. That's just what friends do!
ReplyDeleteI totally understand the worry! I was concerned about it too, and I am not even going! But I would have loved to go! I'm hoping I can make it to Florida next year! Then all you experienced hard partying bandsters can help out us newbies!
ReplyDeleteSandy Lee, I feel like I will be one of the oldies too! I am 50 and Amy W. is younger than 2 of my kids! I should be about 4 months out of surgery and I hope to have lost 30 pounds by then. I am a bit nervous too. Just remember, we are all in this together!
ReplyDeleteGeez, Ladies. I'm sorry I did a post that made you examine why you wouldn't "fit in". My husband brought up a great point when I talked to him about it. He said that from what I've told him part of what makes this blogging community so great is that we are all different and bring different experiences to the table. We are going to have a blast.
ReplyDeleteBonnie, I am going to be the fattest, so don't you worry about that! I will also be the loudest and the drunkest. Look out, girlfriend!
ReplyDeleteI'm not nervous, but a little overwhelmed. We are at over 40 people and it's 5 months away. Sometimes a big crowd spooks me, yet energizes me. It'll be great! I can't wait to meet you!
ReplyDeleteOh, and today is my 2 month post op date. And now I feel like I barely know that the band is there. My body seems back to normal, but not hungry. So the timing sounds perfect.
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog and will put you down as a confirmed yes. Looking forward to following!
ReplyDeleteBonnie, I'm so glad I'll get to meet you. You helped me so much when I was going through hell with my insurance co. You even offered to go kick some ass for me. I'm so excited about meeting everyone, I know that it will be fun because we are all so diverse. @Gilly, I'll give you a run on the loudest/drunkest!
ReplyDelete@Sandy Lee, I told Ms. Vickie the other day I was worried I'd be the only "Mature" blogger. I think we have all fronts covered. We're going to have a ball!
Bonnie - I'm nervous too which is so silly, because if this isn't a supportive group, who is?!?!? BTW - do you have a roommate yet? Let me know if you don't (sarah-fogler@comcast.net)... I need to get on that bandwagon soon!
ReplyDelete