"Life is like a ten-speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use." Charles Schultz
So I decided to start blogging and pretty much have no idea what I'm doing. I've really enjoyed reading so many of yours and they have been such an inspiration. I am only at the beginning of the lapband process and am hoping that everything goes somewhat smoothly so I can get banded no later then September 2010. I have my psych evaluation next Wednesday and have visions of being thrown in a padded room with a box of ding dongs. I guess the idea of someone I've never met before and some test determining whether or not I'm ready to get banded makes me nervous. However, it is necessary so I will do what I need to do and hopefully I'm as normal as I think.
I have a schedule of tests, EKG, blood work, sleep study, etc. I was actually surprised that there weren't more of them. The informational session that I had in January had a lot of good information, but I was happy to see I had done my research and there weren't really any big surprises. I then had my office appointment where I met with the insurance coordinator, nutritionist and the surgeon. I work for a hospital and know this physician very well - which makes it easier and harder. There are 2 surgeons in the office - the one is more experienced, but I trust the other more. I know that sounds crazy. Everything you read says go for the most experienced physician. I have to choose 1 of the 2 surgeons at my hospital to get the best insurance benefit so I'm going to go with my gut - and hopefully he will do right by it - my gut, I mean.
I'm not going to tell anybody (except my husband and one good friend who is also thinking about the lapband) until I get approved and have my surgery date. I went back and forth with whether to tell or not - especially since the weight tends to come off slower with the lapband so it wouldn't be as obvious. However, something that Amy said in one of her blogs really hit me - she said that if she didn't really tell people the real way she lost weight and said it was through diet and exercise, they could get frustrated with theirselves and say "Why can't I lose the weight like Amy?" and continue to be unsuccessful. Whereas, if the truth is told, they may decide to get the lapband and can be successful. It will be more awkard telling some people more than others, but that's the route I've decided to take. The hardest part will be people who don't really understand how the lapband works expecting me to drop a ton of weight right away and thinking I'm failing when I don't. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment